The Human Resource Management Department on behalf of the Ministry of Justice and Legal Affairs wishes to invite persons to apply for the position of Crown Counsel on a full-time basis.
Duties and Responsibilities of the post include but are not limited to the following:
- Undertake prosecutions of all assigned criminal and other cases to ensure justice is served and delivered in a timely manner.
- Assist Senior Crown Counsel and Director of Public Prosecution during trials in order to maintain activities of the Court.
- Conduct appeals, applications and preparing reports on the outcome of the appeals and applications, to ensure the challenges faced in the delivery of the service are identified and strategies developed and implemented to minimize recurrences.
- Liaise with Police and other law enforcement agencies where necessary to ensure sufficient collection of evidence that supports timely and just prosecutions.
- Draft indictments, Submissions, letters, opinions, and other legal documents.
- To vet Police case files for prosecution, or advise and to provide advice and charging authority to the Royal Saint Christopher and Nevis Police Force and other law enforcement agencies in line with the Code for Crown Prosecutors and Saint Christopher and Nevis legislation, to ensure quality delivery of service.
- Undertake general legal research and assignments including the drafting and vetting of legal matters, prepare legal documents to be filed in Court, to ensure the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions is fully prepared for court cases and to support compliance with the requirements of the Court.
- Assist with preparation of Court of Appeal matters for St. Kitts and Nevis Circuit.
- Facilitate participation of victims, witnesses, complaints and accused persons in the criminal justice system and protection of their rights to ensure a seamless justice system.
- Perform any other related duties as required by Supervisor of any other senior officer in order to contribute to effectiveness and efficiency of the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions.
Minimum Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor of Laws Degree.
- Legal Education Certificate or Equivalent.
- The applicant must be called to the Bar of Saint Christopher and Nevis, or possess the requisite qualification to be called to the Bar in Saint Christopher and Nevis.
- Must have good IT skills to support the Federation in its move to digital working.
Knowledge and Skills:
In addition to the requirements above, an officer must have the following skills:
- Basic knowledge of Government structure, policies, and procedures.
- Sound knowledge of applicable statutes and statutory interpretation.
- Excellent litigation skills.
- Prosecutorial skills.
- Knowledge of the criminal justice system.
- Organizational and administrative skills.
- Report writing skills.
- Problem-solving skills.
Salary: K35-K42 ($57,720-$79,260 per annum)
Allowance in lieu of private practice: $1,250 monthly
Travel Allowance (must own a vehicle) $350 monthly
The deadline for the receipt of application is March 5th, 2021.