Basseterre, St. Kitts, August 19, 2021 (SKNIS): The Team Unity Cabinet of Ministers met on Monday, August 9, and Monday, August 16, 2021, at the Ministry of Finance Conference Room under the chairmanship of Prime Minister Dr. the Honourable Timothy Harris. Several issues affecting the Federation of St. Kitts and Nevis were deliberated on.
- Cabinet deliberated extensively on matters to do with economic recovery in light of the COVID-19 pandemic and how it would affect the tourism industry and health.
- The Cabinet was briefed by the National COVID-19 Task Force and considered the mitigating measures necessary to ensure the economic recovery needed and for the safe resumption of cruise tourism. The Task Force also updated on the Haitian situation with respect to the devastating earthquake that rocked that country and the pre-strike meeting with over 80 stakeholders that was convened in preparation for Tropical Storm Grace.
- The Cabinet was advised that manufacturing and construction activities were already close to pre-COVID levels.
- The Cabinet was also informed and made privy to all the preparations for the prevailing 2021 AtlanticHurricane Season and also considered matters pertaining to street vending and keeping Basseterre and its environs clean and healthy.
- The Health Promotion Unit of the Ministry of Health sensitized the Cabinet on the programme to inoculate children ages 12 to 18 with the Pfizer BioNTech vaccines that were donated to the Government by the Administration of President Joseph Biden of the United States of America.
- The Cabinet was advised that all inmates and officers at Her Majesty’s Prison had fully recovered from the COVID-19 virus.
- The Cabinet was apprised of the bubbles being planned for the Caribbean Premier League (CPL), which will take place from August 26 to September 15 at Warner Park Cricket Stadium A cohort of 91 percent of players and sports officials of the CPL had been fully vaccinated and all the COVID-19 protocols were being strictly followed with regard to their arrival. To achieve maximum economic benefit, bubbles were created to ensure that the sporting experience was safe and beneficial to the country.
- Submissions were approved by the Cabinet, which will increase construction activity and bring further economic benefit to the Federation.
- The Minister responsible for this year’s Independence Planning Committee informed the Cabinet that the Independence Calendar for the 38th Anniversary of Independence was being finalized and will be made available to the public shortly. Additionally, the winning Independence theme was chosen by the Cabinet from six suggested themes. The winning theme will be revealed to the general public shortly.