The Human Resource Management Department on behalf of the Ministry of Justice and Legal Affairs wishes to invite persons to apply for the position of Legal Research Officer.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- To undertake research on legal issues that arise from prosecution, to ensure the prosecution services offered I well informed and are of high quality, to enhance on the efficiency and effectiveness in the delivery of service.
- Undertake research relating to Criminal Law, Criminal Procedure Rules, relevant Civil Procedure Rules and prepare written opinions, working papers, and reports thereon.
- Undertake extensive review of legal documents, instruments and any other material relating to the Criminal Law, Criminal Procedure Rules and identify issues and propose amendments.
- Prepare briefs and preliminary draught papers for the Director.
- Analyze research date and compiling reports to ensure information is readily available and an easy-to-use manner to enhance efficiency.
- Develop and maintain an up-to-date repository of laws, judgements, contracts precedents and other related material pertinent to the Director of Public Prosecutions.
- Participate in the formulation of internal policy documents, to ensure the ODPP has guidelines that support the operations of the institution and to enhance compliance with the constitution and other relevant law and guidelines that influence the operations of the ODPP.
- The right legal opinions and briefs to assist with the prosecution Counsel understand cases, to ensure efficiency in prosecution.
- Prepare Paper Committal Bundles for Magistrate’s Court.
- Attend inter and intra-collaborative meetings and conferences with various stakeholders in the Criminal Justice System to garner the support of stakeholders in the delivery timely public prosecution services.
- Advise on various legal policy issues to ensure the decisions made in the delivery of public prosecution services are well informed. Undertake research and on assigned legal issues and compiling reports to ensure the prosecution services offered are well informed and are of high quality.
- Contribute to the writing of the annual report of the ODPP the, to ensure the report is delivered within the set timelines and quality standards.
- Perform any other duties that are assigned.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor of Laws Degree from a recognized institution.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Research or related field.
- At least two (2) years’ experience in legal research.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
In addition to the requirements above, an officer must have the following skills:
- Litigation skills.
- Legislative drafting and law reform skills.
- Prosecutorial skills
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Knowledge of the criminal justice system.
- Research skills
- Interpersonal and communication skills.
- Organizational and administrative skills.
- Report writing skills.
- Problem-solving skills.
- Must be a person of honesty and integrity, as well as the ability to work under pressure.
- Must have a positive working attitude.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationship with fellow employees and members of the public.
K33-K38 ($4,495-$5,525 monthly)
Travel Allowance -$350 monthly
The deadline for receipt of applications is March 05, 2021.