The Human Resource Management Department on behalf of the Ministry of Public Infrastructure et al wishes to invite suitably qualified persons to fill the position of a Deputy Director.
The role of the Deputy Director in Public Works Department is responsible for assisting the Director in planning, organizing and directing the activities of assigned divisions. Assists other Ministries and Departments on relevant matters. Ensures technical outputs of the sections are executed according to established procedures, guidelines, and codes. An important member of the procurement process (preparing Bill of Quantities, tender/construction document, evaluation of tenders & making recommendation and Construction Administration).
Duties and Responsibilities:
1.Assist the Director with planning, developing and implementing Government projects in order to contribute to the effective management of the department.
2. Assist with the design and preparation of detailed engineering and construction drawings in accordance with relevant codes and standards.
3. Perform structural engineering calculations compliant with applicable codes and standards of practice.
4. Assist with coordinating technical and feasibility studies undertaken by the Department.
5. Assist with the management of the day-to-day activities of the Department to ensure that work in carried out in a timely manner, as well as monitoring the efficient use of resources.
6. Prepare and reviewing Bill of Quantities/estimates, tender documents, evaluating of tenders and making recommendations on the award.
7. Prepare reports on projects supervised by the Department measuring performance on an ongoing basis. Provide data measuring performance on ongoing projects.
8. Represent and report to the Director at various meetings to ensure representation of the department and its interests.
9. Assist with training programmes for assigned division to aid the continuous professional development of the department’s staff.
10. Develop and implement engineering standards.
11. Supervise construction projects as required with industry standards and condition of contracts.
12. Act in the absence of the Director.
13. Assist with the preparation of the Department’s Annual Budget.
14. The Deputy Director’s position is integral in damage assessment and recovery efforts for the department and the country as a whole.
15. Identify environmental factors as it relates to specific operations and develop, where applicable, implement and promote the health and safety policies. Mitigate and minimise workplace hazards.
16. Draft memorandums, letters and other correspondences as required, ensure the consistency and accuracy of external correspondence.
17. Assist with the preparation and submission of Performance Indicators.
18. Assist with the preparation of submission of Appraisal Report for staff.
19. Prepare designs and construction documents for roads, bridges, etc. throughout the Federation.
20. Keep Director updated on all projects /activities and challenges.
21. Prepare briefs for consulting engineers and monitors their services.
22. Assist the Director with the management and supervision of Consultants.
23. Perform any other related duties as required by the Director or any other senior officer in order to contribute to the effectiveness and efficiency of the department.
Minimum Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering or related area
- Seven (7) years’ experience in related area
- Excellent knowledge of Government structure, policies and procedures
- Sound knowledge of the use of standard office equipment and relevant computer applications
- Sound knowledge of accessibility guidelines and sustainable development principles
- Excellent knowledge of relevant computer software applications, including AutoCAD and Civil 3D
- Excellent knowledge of applicable policies, regulations and laws
- Sound interpersonal and organisational skills
- Sound oral and written communication skills
- Excellent research, analytical and decision-making skills
- Excellent supervisory and management skills
Knowledge & Skills:
- Be able to be exposed to sounds or noise levels that maybe uncomfortable
- Withstand exposure to temperature extremes inside or out
- Prolong standing or in stationary position
- Ability to move or traverse about the facilities.
- Ability to work beyond the assigned working hours if required
- Able to go on to roofs and or heights of two floors above the ground
- Ability to work around dust, chemicals, and other substances, and in various environmental conditions
Salary: K42 ($94,164) per annum
Applications must be accompanied by:
Letter of Application
Official academic certificates, transcripts, and other relevant documents (certified copies)
Two (2) references with telephone and e-mail addresses
and should be addressed to:
Ministry of Public Infrastructure, Energy & Utilities; Domestic Transport
Water Services Department
Needsmust, Basseterre, St. Kitts
The deadline for receipt of applications is 9th February, 2024