The Human Resource Management Department on behalf of the Ministry of Public Infrastructure et al wishes to invite suitably qualified persons to fill the position of a Quarry Welder.
The role of the Welder in Public Works Department is to work at the Quarry to shape, modify and repair metal object with the capability to work independently in a professional and timely manner. He/she must be able to work with items at any scale, from small pipes and vehicle and or equipment parts to massive steel beams. The welder must be able to work with and without detailed specifications to complete his/her role on any project and carefully inspect the work for imperfections and defects to ensure the structural integrity of the projects.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Study and interpret drawings and measurements
2. Read sketches and specifications
3. Inspect structures and materials before welding
4. Operate torches and power supplies
5. Use and maintain specialized welding machines and equipment
6. Weld components
7. Monitor stages of the welding process
8. Assess the quality of welding process
9. Assess the quality of welds and identify flaws
10. Servicing and repairing of quarry equipment.
11. Construct new structures and repair or modify existing ones as well as equipment and machinery.
12. Follow strict safety regulations – including wearing the right safety gear.
13. Assist in training less – experienced employees on the proper operations, servicing and repair of equipment to further their abilities
14. Perform general labour duties when necessary.
15. Perform any other related duties as required by the Quarry Manager in order to contribute to the effectiveness and efficiency of the department.
Minimum Qualifications and Experience:
- Attended a Technical College where they obtained an associates, or equivalent certification in Welding.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience as a Welder.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Ability to read drawings
- Knowledge of metallurgy
- Knowledge of various welding techniques, including TIG, MIG, arc, and oxy-fuel welding.
- Knowledge of manual and mechanical welding techniques.
- Good to Sound analysis and decision-making skills
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to work as a team player
Salary: K22-K27 ($41,196-$51,180) per annum
Applications must be accompanied by:
Letter of Application
Official academic certificates, transcripts, and other relevant documents (certified copies)
Two (2) references with telephone and e-mail addresses
and should be addressed to:
Ministry of Public Infrastructure, Energy & Utilities; Domestic Transport
Water Services Department
Needsmust, Basseterre, St. Kitts
The deadline for receipt of applications is 9th February, 2024