No. of 2020. Public Health (Amendment) Saint Christopher Bill, 2020. and Nevis.
SAINT CHRISTOPHER AND NEVIS
No. of 2020
A Bill to amend the Public Health Act Cap. 9.21
BE IT ENACTED by the Queen’s Most Excellent Majesty by and with the
advice and consent of the National Assembly of Saint Christopher and Nevis, and by the authority of the same as follows:
PART I – PRELIMINARY
1. Short title.
This Act may be cited as the Public Health (Amendment) Act, 2020.
2. Amendment of section 2.
Section 2 of the Act is amended by inserting immediately after the definition of “food”, the following new definition,
“HEOC” means the Health Emergency Operating Centre referred to in section 8A;”.
“National Health Emergency Response Mechanism” refers to the National Health Emergency Response Mechanism that is set out in the National Health Disaster Management Plan;
3. Amendment of Act.
The Public Health Act, Cap. 9.21, is amended by inserting immediately after section 8, the following new section 8A:
“ 8A. Health Emergency Operating Centre.
- The Minister may, on the advice of the Chief Medical Officer,
authorise the activation of the Health Emergency Operating Centre in the event of a national health emergency or disaster as the case may be, whether such emergency or disaster is imminent or has occurred.
- The Health Emergency Operating Centre is a part of the
National Health Emergency Response Mechanism.
(2). Subject to subsection 1, the Health Emergency Operating Centre shall be manned by an Executive Committee comprised of the following persons:
- Chief Medical Officer as Incident Commander;
- Medical Officer of Health for Nevis;
- Medical Chief of Staff;
- the Health Planner;
- Director of Institutional Nursing Services;
- Deputy Director of Institutional Nursing Services;
- Coordinator of Nursing Services;
- Chief Epidemiologist;
- Operations Manager Hospital Services;
- Medical Statistician.
- Where the Executive Committee is mobilised pursuant to
subsection (1), its functions shall be as follows:
- to provide strategic direction and advice in relation to a national health emergency or disaster;
- to mobilise key health personnel to provide support and intervention where necessary;
- to collect data and statistics and provide medical analysis in respect of the national health emergency;
- to provide assistance to the National Emergency Management Agency as part of the National Disaster Management Plan;
- to coordinate with the National Emergency Operations Centre.
A MICHAEL PERKINS
Passed by the National Assembly this day of , 2020.
SONIA BODDIE THOMPSON
Clerk of the National Assembly