COVID-19 (Prevention and Control) Order, 2021
In exercise of the powers conferred by section 24 of the COVID-19 (Prevention and Control) Act, No. 16 of 2020, the Chief Medical Officer makes the following Emergency Order:
[Published 25th May 2021 – Extra-Ordinary Gazette No. 29 of 2021]
- Citation and duration.
(1) This Order may be cited as the COVID-19 (Prevention and Control) Order, 2021. (2) This Order shall have effect from Tuesday 25th May, 2021 to Tuesday 8th June, 2021.
In this Order, “Act” means the COVID-19 (Prevention and Control) Act, No. 16 of 2020.
- Closure of all schools for two weeks.
All public and private educational places of instruction shall be closed from Tuesday 25th May, 2021 to Tuesday 8th June, 2021.
- Restriction on public transport.
No person shall offer for hire or seek to travel on any motor omnibus, any hiring car, taxi, any passenger ferry or catamaran unless,
(a) all persons wear a mask at all times;
(b) all windows remain open or partially open depending on the weather conditions;
(c) all persons shall practice good hand hygiene, proper sanitary behaviour and social distancing protocols;
(d) the driver, master or crew ensures that there is no more than 50% passenger capacity onboard the vehicle or vessel; and
(e) the driver, master or crew ensures that sanitization of all door knobs and hand rests is undertaken after each trip.
- Restriction on contact sports.
(1) No person shall attend sports training or practice sessions for amateur or other recreational sporting events.
(2) Notwithstanding subsection (1), the officials and players approved by the Chief Medical Officer in consultation with
(a) the Commissioner of Police; and
(b) the Ministry of Sports, may attend the two World Cup qualifier matches.
A person who contravenes or fails to comply with this Order shall be liable in accordance with the provisions of section 22 of the Act.
Made this 25th day of May, 2021.
Chief Medical Officer