Applications are invited from suitably qualified persons for appointment to the post of
Crown Counsel I, Attorney General’s Chambers, Saint Lucia.
JOB TITLE : Crown Counsel I
REPORTS TO : Solicitor General
SUPERVISES : Secretary IV, III, II, I
CLASSIFICATION : GRADE 15
A. RELATIONSHIP AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provision of professional efficient and ethical legal services to the Government
of Saint Lucia in matters related but not limited to the conduct of Civil
Litigation, provision of legal advice, drafting and vetting of contracts and
- Works under the direction of and reports to the Solicitor General.
- Required to respond whenever necessary to the Attorney General, Permanent
Secretary and Solicitor General on matters related to work.
B. DUTIES AND TASKS
- Appears and represents the Government of Saint Lucia in the District
Court and the High Court in Constitutional and other civil legal
- Appears in appeals in disciplinary matters involving members of the Public
- Prepares legal documents to be filed in civil matters.
- Provides legal advice to all Government Departments and Ministries.
2 | Page
- Reviews, vets and approves documents for Marriage Licenses applications.
- Prepares petitions and escheat of vacant lands.
- Prepares and vets Deeds, Contracts and Agreements to which
Government is a party.
- Represents the Office of the Attorney General on various statutory boards
- Prepares regular reports on work in progress.
- Performs such other duties as may be assigned from time to time
within the scope of responsibility.
- Functions in scheduled travelling post and receives basic travelling and
mileage allowance in accordance with approved rates.
- Required to maintain a motor vehicle for the performance of duties.
- Suitable office accommodation provided.
- Salary and leave are in accordance with the terms stipulated in the
Estimates of Expenditure, Collective Agreements and Terms and
Conditions of Employment.
- Institutional support is provided through Civil Service Regulations,
Statutory Instruments and Agency guidelines.
- Opportunities exist for career and personal development.
- The post is non-pensionable.
D. EVALUATION METHODS
Work performance will be evaluated on the basis of the following:
- Effective implementation of duties, responsibilities and assignments as
defined in the job description.
3 | Page
- Number of problems investigated and relevance of prescriptions.
- Attend and participate in internal and external meetings, and other official
activities as required.
- Compliance with and responsiveness to supervision.
- Compliance with Chambers guidelines and standard operating procedures.
- Supervisory capabilities and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work as a member of a team.
- Professionalism and decorum.
E. SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- A sound working knowledge of the Laws of Saint Lucia.
- A working knowledge of and ability to interpret Legislation, Civil Service
Rules and Regulations, Collective Agreement etc.
- Working knowledge of the Court Procedures
- Sound knowledge of legal principles, practices and proceedings.
- Sound knowledge of government procedures and practices.
- Ability to communicate persuasively and clearly both orally and in writing.
- Self motivated and proven ability to work well as part of a team.
- Ability to plan and organize work and prepare concise reports.
- Ability to analyze issues, make interpretations and sound
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with
associates and the public.
4 | Page
F. QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
A Bachelor of Laws Degree and a Legal Education Certificate or equivalent
recognized qualification to practice law in Saint Lucia with at least two (2) years’
relevant legal experience.
G. SALARY AND ALLOWANCES
Basic salary is at the rate of EC$67,105.68 per annum, plus the following
allowances per annum.
Legal Allowance $12,000.00
Salary and allowances are exempt from income tax.
Applications, along with two written references and certified copies of
documents pertaining to qualifications, should be addressed to:
Judicial and Legal Services Commission
2 nd Floor, Heraldine Rock Building
Saint Lucia, W.I.
To reach him no later than Friday, 17 th March 2023. .
NB: Applications may also be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Unsuitable candidates will not be acknowledged. Candidates meeting the
minimum qualifications and experience may not be considered for an interview.
Only the candidates with the best qualifications and experience will be shortlisted