Applications are invited from suitably qualified persons for appointment to the
post of Judicial Research Assistant within the Eastern Caribbean Supreme
Court, Headquarters, Castries, Saint Lucia.
JOB TITLE : Judicial Research Assistant
REPORTS TO : Chief Registrar
CLASSIFICATION : MPP 2
A. DUTIES AND TASKS
- Reviews and summarizes evidence, procedural history, and legal issues
in relation to matters before the Court of Appeal and prepares bench
- Conducts legal research.
- Prepares first drafts of judgments and orders for review by the Chief
Justice and Justices of Appeal.
- Reviews legal documents at the request of the Chief Justice and
Justices of Appeal.
- Prepares digests and records of proceedings at sittings of the Court of
- Reviews court documents in particular, digests and decisions, for
completeness of format, citations, grammar, spelling, clarity and
- Headnotes and proofreads judgments in preparation for their delivery.
- Performs such other duties as may be assigned by the Chief Registrar.
B. SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- Ability to proofread accurately.
- Ability to prepare judgments for delivery.
- Ability to review and summarize evidence, procedural history and legal
issues in relation to matters before the Court of Appeal.
- Ability to conduct research for the Chief Justice and Justices of Appeal.
- Ability to prepare digests and records of proceedings at sittings of the
Court of Appeal.
- Ability to identify and analyze factual and legal issues relevant to the
disposition of appeals.
- Ability to formulate dispositions for consideration of the Chief Justice
and Justices of Appeal.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- The applicant should have sound working knowledge and training in
Research Methods, Legal Research and Analysis, Rules of the Supreme
Court and Court of Appeal Rules, Protocol and IT applications for office
- The applicant should be called to the Bar in a Commonwealth Country
or will be called the Bar in a Commonwealth Country within a
reasonable period after appointment.
C. QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
Applicants should have the following qualifications:
A Bachelor of Laws Degree; and
A Legal Education Certificate or equivalent recognised qualification.
At least one (1) year of relevant prior working experience in a similar
environment would be an asset.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications.
Completed employment application form, together with a cover letter,
curriculum vitae (CV), two  written reference letters and certified
copies of documents pertaining to qualifications, should be addressed to:
Judicial and Legal Services Commission
Eastern Caribbean Supreme Court
2 nd Floor, Heraldine Rock Building
P.O. Box 1093
Saint Lucia, West Indies.
To arrive no later than Friday 13 th January 2023.
NB: Application forms may be downloaded at the Court’s Website
( www.eccourts.org ). Applications may also be submitted via email to
email@example.com . Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Unsuitable candidates will not be acknowledged. Candidates meeting the
minimum qualifications and experience may not be considered for an
interview. Only the candidates with the best qualifications and experience
will be shortlisted for interview.