Applications are invited from suitably qualified persons for appointment to the post of Legal Drafter I, Attorney General’s Chambers, Saint Lucia.
JOB TITLE : Legal Drafter I
REPORTS TO : Deputy Director of Legislative Drafting
supervises : n/a
CLASSIFICATION : Grade 15
A. RELATIONSHIP AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Works under the direction and reports to the Deputy Director of Legislative Drafting in performing duties and tasks.
2. Required to respond whenever necessary to the Director of Legislative Drafting, Attorney General and Permanent Secretary on matters related to work.
B. DUTIES AND TASKS
1. Drafts primary and mostly secondary legislation in the form of Statutory Instruments including Bye-laws, Notices, Orders, Proclamations, Regulations and Rules.
2. Liaises with the various Ministries or other appropriate body for proper instructions and clarification of instructions.
3. Attends meetings with various Ministries or other appropriate body to discuss legal issues and draft-related issues in order to formulate new legislation or to amend existing legislation.
4. Undertakes research to determine impact of existing laws on proposed legislation.
5. Attends sittings of the House of Assembly and advises the Attorney General on matters relating to Bills before the House.
6. Represents the Legislative Drafting Unit at local, regional and international workshops, conferences, seminars to participate in discussions relating to proposed legislation.
7. Prepares regular reports on work in progress.
8. Performs such other duties as may be assigned from time to time by the Director of Legislative Drafting, Deputy Director of Legislative Drafting, Attorney General or the Permanent Secretary.
1. Functions in scheduled travelling post and receives basic travelling and mileage allowance in accordance with approved rates.
2. Required to maintain a motor vehicle for the performance of duties.
Suitable office accommodation provided.
3. Salary and leave are in accordance with the terms stipulated in the Estimates of Expenditure, Collective Agreements, Terms and Conditions of Employment.
4. Institutional support is provided through Service Regulations, Statutory Instruments and Agency guidelines.
5. Opportunities exist for career and personal development.
6. This post is non-pensionable.
D. EVALUATION METHODS
Work performed will be evaluated on the basis of the following:
- Ability to effectively carry out duties and responsibilities in keeping with job description.
- Demonstrated ability to solve problems with appropriate solutions.
- Ability to follow the rules and procedures as specified in the Operations Manual.
- Demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize work assignments.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently on multiple projects and tasks within reasonable timelines.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Punctuality and consistent attendance at work.
E. SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
1. A sound working knowledge of the laws/statutes of Saint Lucia.
2. Familiarization with the Department’s Drafting Manual.
3. Ability to interpret legislation, Civil Service Rules and Regulations and Operating Procedures, Staff Orders and Collective Agreements.
4. Basic drafting skills.
5. Basic interpersonal skills.
6. Basic computer skills.
7. Basic advocacy skills.
8. Effective communication skills (oral and writing).
9. Ability to gather appropriate information/undertake research for the purpose of drafting legislation.
F. QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- A Bachelor of Law Degree from a recognized University.
- A Legal Education Certificate.
- A Legal Practice certificate to practice law in Saint Lucia.
- Post Graduate Certificate in Legislative Drafting or two years practice at the bar.
G. SALARY AND ALLOWANCES
Basic salary is at the rate of EC$68,447.76 per annum, plus the following allowances per annum:
Legal Allowance $12,000.00
Travel Allowance $7,620.00
Salary and allowances are exempt from income tax.
Applications, along with two written references and certified copies of documents pertaining to qualifications, should be addressed to:
Judicial and Legal Services Commission
2nd Floor, Heraldine Rock Building
Saint Lucia, W.I.
To reach him no later than Friday, 6th January 2023. .NB: Applications may also be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Unsuitable candidates will not be acknowledged. Candidates meeting the minimum qualifications and experience may not be considered for an interview. Only the candidates with the best qualifications and experience will be shortlisted for interview