The Human Resource Management Department on behalf of the Ministry of International Trade, Industry, Commerce and Consumer Affairs wishes to invite suitably qualified persons to fill the position of Food Safety Technician.
The successful candidate will be responsible for monitoring and servicing systems, diagnosing problems, and troubleshooting equipment, running tests, and completing reports, updating, and improving existing systems, and repairing or replacing faulty equipment. The candidate should collaborate with other professionals and be able to make useful recommendations wherever possible. To be successful as a technician, he/she should demonstrate strong self-discipline and a passion for technology. Outstanding technicians possess sound knowledge of their trade and superb active listening skills. The candidate will be working with Fisheries products so candidates with fish allergies will not be considered.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Inspecting, analyzing, and troubleshooting systems and equipment.
- Reading repair manuals and liaising with other professionals.
- Running tests and interpreting results to make effective recommendations.
- Writing up reports, safety regulations, and preventative maintenance plans.
- Sourcing replacement parts.
- Negotiating with suppliers and clients.
- Working with ICP, HPLC, LCMS and GCMS and liquid Nitrogen.
- Collecting qualitative and quantitative data on fish sampling for testing.
- Providing time and material cost estimates before starting a job.
- Keeping abreast of advancements in your field and attending workshops as required.
Minimum Qualifications and Experience:
- A relevant degree, certification, or license may be required.
- Experience as a technician
- A driver’s license.
- Proficiency in MS suite.
Knowledge & Skills:
In addition to the requirements above, the post holder must have the following skills:
- Operate the food safety lab.
- Can work unsupervised.
- Familiarity with MTT bioassay.
- Open to training local and abroad.
- Communicates well through written and verbal modes.
- Has a demonstrated capacity for analysis and critical thinking.
- Ability to follow health and safety regulations.
- Has an interest/experience in experimentation and problem-solving within defined constraints.
- Works well on teams of persons with diverse backgrounds.
Salary: K33-K38 ($59,340-$72,936) per annum
Applications must be accompanied by:
· Letter of Application
· Curriculum Vitae
· Police Record
· Official academic certificates, transcripts and other relevant documents (certified copies)
· Two (2) references with telephone and e-mail addresses and should be addressed to:
Ministry of International Trade, Industry, Commerce and Consumer Affairs
Bladen Commercial Development, P.O. Box 186
BASSETERRE, SAINT KITTS
The deadline for receipt of applications is 10th March, 2023